Red Lentils Dahl
This is a rich and nutritious vegetarian lentil curry with tomatoes. It’s a perfect meal with some rice, raita and pickles or as a part of an Indian feast. You choose!
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes | Serves: 6
- Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear and drain. Put the lentils in a saucepan with water to cover; simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan; fry the onion until golden. Combine the curry paste, curry powder, spices, salt, sugar, garlic and ginger together in a mixing bowl. Mix well and add to the onions then cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the drained lentils. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the dhal thickens. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups (200g) red lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Indian curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root.
- 700g tomato puree or passata.