Spicy Black Beans and Rice
This is a fast, easy vegetarian meal idea.
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 40 minutes | Serves: 6
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a saucepan bring the water to the boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour beans into a 2 litre casserole. Sprinkle with chillies, cumin, chilli powder, salt and black pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, spring onions and olives. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Serve beans over cooked rice.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fiber and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
- 375ml 1½ cups) water
- 100g (½ cup) medium grain rice
- 2 tins (400g each) black or red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 3 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 60g (½ cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Handful black olives, pitted and sliced