Couscous Salad With Chickpeas
Serve this fresh-tasting salad with parsley, spring onions, tomatoes and sausage for a light lunch. Omit the sausage for a vegetarian version.
Prep: 35 minutes | Serves:4
- Bring 1 cup (250 ml) water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and salt and leave to absorb liquid 20 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Halve and core tomatoes and cut into small dice. Slice spring onions into rings.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, cumin and paprika in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir parsley, couscous, chickpeas, tomatoes and spring onions into vinaigrette.
- Just before serving, taste salad and season with salt, pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Slice sausage into small cubes and stir in.
Chickpeas and couscous combined give this dish a useful protein content. For a quick meal, instant couscous is an ideal ingredient.
Couscous Salad With Tuna
- Prepare 1 1⁄3 cups (240 g) couscous as in main recipe. Halve 2 green capsicums and cut into strips. Finely dice 1 red onion. Cut 2 zucchini into thin strips. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, crushed, 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Stir into couscous salad. Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves. Stir in 150 g drained, canned, finely flaked tuna.
- 1 1⁄3 cups (240 g) instant couscous
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 1⁄2 cup (40 g) finely chopped fresh flat–leaf parsley
- 1 can (300 g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200 g garlic sausage or cabanossi, in one piece
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper