Middle Eastern lentil salad
This is a deliciously healthy lentil and vegetable salad. Dried apricots add a sweet exotic note.
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
- Put the lentils in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Add the garlic, cumin and lemon, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Drop the broccoli florets into a saucepan of boiling water and blanch for about 2 minutes or until the broccoli are slightly softened but still crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the lemon juice, oil, coriander, salt and black pepper in a large salad bowl, and whisk together.
- Drain the lentils, discarding the lemon and garlic. Tip them in the salad bowl and toss gently to mix with the dressing.
- Add the onion, apricots, capsicums and broccoli florets and mix gently. Crumble the cheese over the top, garnish with the sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
- Instead of goat's cheese, you could top the salad with 4 sliced hard-boiled eggs.
- Use 1 cup frozen broad beans instead of broccoli florets. Cook the beans in boiling water for 5 minutes, or until tender. Cool slightly, then slip off their skins. Drain, then refresh under cold running water.
- Serve with char-grilled or toasted pita bread.
- 1⅓ cups dried brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled but left whole
- Good pinch of ground cumin
- 1 slice lemon
- 1⅔ cups broccoli florets
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, seeded and cut into 2-cm dice
- 1 small green capsicum, seeded and cut into 2-cm dice
- 1 small yellow capsicum, seeded and cut into 2-cm dice
- 50 g firm rindless goat's cheese
- Toasted sunflower seeds to garnish
- Lemon and coriander dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper